The City Girl Farmer


Making Soap
August 6, 2009, 8:27 am
Filed under: Goats, Uncategorized | Tags: , ,

My neighbor has dairy goats and I was able to get hold of a little goats milk to try my hand at soap making.  I’m afraid I’m not much of a chemist and do not really understand the saponification process.  It’s actually quite intimidating since anywhere you look on the web there are stern warnings with regard to handling lye.  I wore rubber gloves and goggles but drew the line at shoes.  It was a hot summer day.

Just poured into the mold

Just poured into the mold

As I was mixing it all together, I thought I’d check the internet to see how long it was supposed to take before “trace”, where the soap begins to thicken.  In the 5 minutes I was away from the soap it went from making a line across the top of the mixture to being a batter consistency.  Oops!  I managed to get it into the molds anyway but I’m afraid it was a little thick.  The other thing that occurred to me after the fact was that perhaps I should have weighed all the fat instead of using liquid measuring cups for the liquid fat, like avocado and wheat germ oil.  Still don’t know the answer to that one.  Unfortunately it takes a little more care to make soap than a batch of cookies.  If you get the fat to lye ration wrong, you either end up with a caustic soap-like product or too much fat-not-bonded-with-lye which will go rancid with time.   I’ll try to remember to post an update.  Here are some tidbits I found interesting during the process:

  • The most expensive ingredient was the essential oil used for scenting the soap
  • The color in the picture is the natural color
  • I need to grease my molds better next time
  • Different oils add different qualities to your soap

The soap needs to cure for 3 weeks so I’ll post results of the quality of the product after we have a chance to try it.   The two obvious flaws are that the bottoms of the soaps are not flat as the mixture was a little too thick when poured and there was some damage to a couple of bars because the molds were not adequately greased.  Next batch should be significantly better.